I’ve got piles and piles of stuff to do, like I am sure you all do. Here is a look at my fall…some of it is really good, … some of it, well, is lacking… but I’m pretty pleased about the whole 9 yards.
1. Supervise the editing of 2 book chapters. All I have to say about this is… WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING. … no really, it will be delightful fun!
2. Host visiting scientists… to teach new model…fun fun fun… really looking forward to it.
3. Graduate a student… awesome to see a trainee hitting their milestones.
4. Be a soccer mom, piano mom, and take on a new role as a clarinet mom.
5. Expand the lab… hire like mad…. outfit some potential new space… JUST grow…and do great science.
6. Start new position as an editor for excellent journal in my sub-field. Really, insanely excited but scared silly of screwing up all at the same time.
7. Submit 2 papers. … writing that on this blog makes it feel URGENT.
8. Attend international meeting… after 9 airplane rides in the last two months…WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING… my travel agenda needs to be spaced out…. well, actually- I was thinking of #9.
9. Put together and submit TENURE package. Yeah. Excited and scared silly all at the same time.
Yes, you read that right. Tenure package. I can’t believe it myself, but it is time. I’ve got a guideline for format- but I’m guessing that like with all of this kind of stuff, there is a learning curve, the handbook doesn’t cover the 21 million mistakes you can make on this monster, and you probably only figure out those screw-ups once it is over. The tenure process isn’t really something I want to do twice.
I’m off the unsolicited advice chair for once, bet you thought it would never happen. All of you wise tenured people- you are on the hot-seat. Give me your thoughts on tenure packages and outline the 21 million places the thing can go all to hell…