I don’t think you guys will really want to hear from me right now. I’m in a bad mood. Really bad.
I spend a bunch of time in meetings. Some are useful, some are not. Most are benign. Some are not.
Today I experienced first hand a non-benign variety.
I’ve learned some hard lessons today:
1. Do not go to meetings where you think you know what is on the agenda without asking what is on the agenda. Period.
2. Always assume that people are talking about you behind your back. A healthy level of paranoia is… well…healthy. Be prepared.
3. Politics suck. Politics are unavoidable. But they still suck.
4. Most people are terrible at communication. It is an art form that very few people have mastered. Maybe I haven’t either.
5. Even if the facts are on your side don’t assume that means shit.
Sometimes I feel like I need a guide to navigate aspects of the professional mine field that I feel trapped in.
Sorry but that is all I have energy for.